2015 COUNSELOR IN TRAINING PROGRAM
LETTER OF INTENT DUE: January 23, 2015
APPLICATION due June 1st
4-H Counselors in Training (CIT's) are a very important part of our total camp program. 4-H CIT's are both givers and receivers of 4-H camp educational programs. This is an opportunity for youth who have completed 7th and 8th grade to develop their leadership skills and be an active participant in 4-H Junior Wildlife Stewards Camp. During their week at camp, counselors in training participate in leadership classes, and assist with special camp projects.
- Set a good example according to camp objectives
- Be a good, enthusiastic camper
- Be punctual and attend all camp programs
Participate in morning Leadership Classes while at camp
- Never leave camp without permission from the Camp Director
- Abide by all rules, policies, and procedures
- Sit at the head of the table at mealtime and assist with the orderly use of the dining hall
- In partnership with other junior counselors and Head Counselor, plan and organize the "Evening All-Camp" programs
- Assist with Habitat Service project by working with a small group of campers
- Must have completed 7th grade or 8th grade by June 2015
- Enjoy working with children
- Willing to participate in counselor leadership training classes during morning camp programs
- Love of the outdoors and a willingness and enthusiasm for sharing it with children
CIT SELECTION PROCESS
Due to high number of 6th grade campers at our 2014 camp we expect a high interest in our CIT program for 2015 camp. Unfortunately, we cannot select everyone who applies to be a CIT. A selection process has been established for our 2014 CIT program. The 4-H camp committee will select our CIT's for 2014 camp based on the following:
- Counselor and staff recommendations from 2014 camp (2014 Counselors and adult camp staff have made recommendations of leadership potential of 2014 6th grade campers).
- Quality of "Why I want to be a CIT at 4-H Wildlife Stewards Camp" letter
- Attention to following deadlines and guidelines for applications
CIT applicants will be notified by no later than March 15th on the status of their application.
CAMP DATES and FEES:
- Letter of Interest to apply: January 23, 2015
- Early Registration Deadline – June 1, 2015 ($295)
- Regular Registration Deadline - July 15, 2015 ($345)
- Camp Arrival - Tuesday, July 28th at 9:00 am
- Camper Departure - Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 2:00 pm
HOW TO APPLY:
Write a 1-2 page letter explaining why you want to be a CIT. The letter should be addressed to the camp committee. DEADLINE: January 23, 2015. All letters can be sent electronically to Maureen Hosty or mailed to:
OSU Extension 4-H Camp
5444-B SE International Way
Portland, OR 97222
If selected to be a part of the 2015 CIT camp leadership program:
download and complete your Camp Enrollment (available December 15)
submit along with your camp fee by June 1, 2014 for early registration.
Contact Maureen Hosty at (503)657-7385 or email or contact Chuck “Grizzly” Packard at 503-351-0628 or email.