Welcome to the Woodland Compass, the OSU Extension electronic newsletter for landowners in Benton, Linn and Polk Counties. The Compass will be posted here and sent out by email every two months with news and information to help landowners take care of and enjoy their woodland properties. Electronic announcements of upcoming events will be distributed through the Needle to help keep you informed about local workshops, tours or other happenings.
With the Compass and Needle, we hope to be able to bring you more-focused, detailed and timely information on the art and science of woodland management, with more photos and links than in print formats.
Subscribe Here to receive the Compass and Needle delivered to your inbox, or contact Jody with your name, email, and physical mailing address & phone (to help keep email lists current).
- New Extension Specialist in Forest Economics, Management and Policy
- CoCo What? Confessions of a local weather watcher
- Wildfire: It's not if, but when
- Western Oak looper
- Tree Farmer of the Year Tours
- Five questions to answer as fire season begins
- What’s causing all that die-back in Incense-cedar?
- Watching out for the Emerald Ash Borer & other Invasives
- The boom-and-bust life of defoliating insects
- Oregon wildflower app for smartphones
- Forest Roads
- Master Woodland Manager Training 2014
- Winter Weed Work
- Rainfall Monitoring Pays Off
- Cooperators Sought for Wildlife Study
- Two New Forestry Extension Specialist at OSU
- Chasing Early Seral
- Pest Scene Investigation
- Scanning the Horizons for a Logger
- Choosing your words carefully
- 2013 Tax Tips for Forest Landowners
- Update from the Committee for Family Forestlands
- Woodland owners, foresters to gather at World Forestry Center in Portland November 25
- Knowledge and experience can be shared
- Oregon white oak in the Willamette Valley, Summer 2013....Some in-your-face issues
- Vegetation Management Series
- Weed control and herbicide basics - including a distinction between foliar and soil active herbicides.
- Understanding foliar herbicides – part 1 – glyphosate.
- Understanding foliar Herbicides- part 2 – Growth Regulators
- Fire Season
- Connecting Youth to our Local Forests and Science
- There’s an App for that #3: SoilWeb
- Happy Spring, or is it summer already?
- Keep Up on Your Fire-prevention Maintenance
- Stressed and Dying Conifers - another year for “Valley Crud”
- The Value of Dead Wood- an anecdote and photo contest
- Bugs, the Good and Bad (Dead Wood Revisited)
- Forest Restoration …in Thailand
- Nature’s Timing
- “Is SNC Hurting me?”
- In the News
- Welcome & Introduction
- Forestry and Woodland Resources for Benton, Linn, and Polk Counties
- Growing a New Forest
- Experiments by Design
- Leadership Transition and other News from the Board of Forestry