- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
4-H Livestock Advisory Committee
Meetings are the first Thursday of most months, 7:00 pm at the Extension office. All 4-H large livestock (Beef, Dairy, Goats, Llama, Sheep and Swine) leaders, parents, and older youth members are encouraged to attend.Committee Officers
Chair - Michelle Palacios
Vice Chair - Diana Thacker
Secretary - Jill Thompson
Treasurer - Tim Thacker
Beef - Matt Stewart
Dairy Cow - Lloyd Hansen
Fiber Goats - Cindy Boyd
Dairy Goats - Sandy Lauer
Meat Goats - Diana Thacker / Sally West
Pygmy Goats - Laurie Zeise
Llama - Sarah Geisler
Sheep - Lacey Allen
Swine - Travis Dutton
Committee Operational Guidelines
Livestock Advisory Agenda and Minutes
June 2016 Minutes
April 2016 Minutes
April 2016 Agenda
March 2016 Minutes
January 2016 Minutes
November 2015 Minutes
October 2015 Minutes
September 2015 Minutes
County Fair Information
- Matster Showmanship Information and Rules
Fair Policy Please share this information with your 4-H members.
Animal Fitting, Showing and Management at Fair
During County Fair, the entire time you are on the show grounds, we will enforce our “no adults, 4-H youth only” policy. Only 4-H members are permitted to care for, fit, and show their animals. It is important to note that ALL animals that have been entered by the 4-H member in a 4-H class are included in this policy. Crossover animals that show in both 4-H and Open class, are still ONLY to be managed BY THE 4-H MEMBER throughout the entirety of the fair week. If a member needs assistance, they may get help from another 4-H youth. The helper does not have to be from the same club. If there is an immediate safety concern, it is appropriate for adults to step in until the danger passes. Parents or leaders who think their member needs non-emergency adult assistance are encouraged to contact their superintendent or the Extension office to discuss other options. Abuse of rules will be dealt with in the following manner:
- 1st offense: Warning. Warnings may be made by any 4-H staff member. They will be reported to and recorded by the Extension Agent
- 2nd offense: Violator will be asked to leave the area/pen for at least one day. Violator is the person doing the work for the member.
- 3rd offense: Mandatory dismissal for the 4-H member from further showing and forfeiture of awards for the current fair. Market animals will not go through auction.
Showing in both 4-H and FFA
The state 4-H and FFA offices have a Memorandum of Understanding that covers members who show in both organizations. If you show the same species in 4-H and FFA, you need to determine which animals are your 4-H project animals and which are for FFA by June 1. 4-H project animals can not show in FFA shows, and vice-versa. Also, be sure to check with your FFA advisor about additional restrictions they may have. For more information, read the guiding principals for 4-H and FFA members.
- Ely Barn Decoration Rule – NO LATTICE ALLOWED AS CURTAINS OR BACK DROPS. Top of curtains/banners needs to be 8’off the ground and a maximum of 24” long. No obstruction between bottom of curtain and ground level. The only lattice allowed is one 4’ wide by 6’ tall sheet per club on the north or south end of the pen row. Changes may be necessary during fair due to air flow and air quality for animal & human health.
Livestock Fair Week Schedule
Livestock Fair Ring Schedule
Members leasing a project animal must have the Record of Animal Lease form on file with the Extension office by June 1, The lease record forms will be approved by the Livestock Advisory.
NEW Llama Foundation Training
State Fair Livestock Entry Application Due Friday, August 21, 7:30pm
The Donald Burns Memorial Scholarship
This is a cash award given to a deserving 4H or FFA member from Clackamas County who exhibits the desire to pursue a beef project. The cash award is to be used toward the purchase of a steer or heifer to be raised and shown at the Clackamas County Fair in 4H or FFA. Our goal is to provide an opportunity for a young person to learn important life skills that will enable them to succeed. Donald Burns Scholarship application