- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
Beef cattle are cattle raised for meat production (as distinguished from dairy cattle, used for milk production). The meat of an adult cattle is known as beef. Beef cattle have gender specific names: castrated male calf, steer, a non-castrated male, bull, a young female beef animal that has not calved, heifer, a mature female beef animal who has had one or more calves, cow, and a young beef animal less than one year of age, calf.
Since 1910, the first year that statistics were compiled, Americans have been eating an average of 60 pounds of beef yearly. While the principal use of beef cattle is meat production, other uses include leather, and products used in shampoo and cosmetics.
- General Information/Resources -
- Publications (Link)
View 100+ publications about agriculture...
- Agricultural Sciences Department at OSU (LinK)
- Alberta Beef (Link)
- Animal Science Department at OSU (Link)
- Livestock Marketing Information Center (Link)
- National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (Link)
Beef industry information.
- North American Institute for Beef Economic Research (Link)
- Oregon Beef Council (Link)
- Oregon Cattlemen's Associatrion (OCA) (Link)
- Oregon Cattle Women (Link)
- Oregon Department of Agriculture (Link)
- Rangeland Ecology and Management Department at OSU (Link)
- USDA Risk Management Agency (Link)
- USDA & Animal Health - Cattle (Link)
- Western Risk Management Library (Link)
- Beef Cattle Browsing (Link)
Beef Cattle Browsing is an electronic newsletter published by Texas AgriLife Extension, Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M University. This newsletter is a free service and is available to anyone interested in beef cattle.
- Cow Camp Chatter (Link)
- Oregon Beef Producer (OCA) (Link)
Offical Publication of the Oregon Cattlemen's Association
- Range Magazine (Link)
Range Magazine is an award-winning publication devoted to the issues that threaten the West, its people, lifestyles, lands and wildlife.
- Sage Signals (Link)
Nevada Cattlemen's Association.
- The Progressive Rancher Magazine (Link)
- Western Livestock Journal (Link)
- Avoid the Scour Hours (PDF)
- BioSecurity for Your Herd (PDF)
- Cows That Eat Juniper Risk Losing Calves (PDF)
- Cull Cow Marketing (PDF)
- Early Weaning as a Form of Risk Management (PDF)
- Evening Feeding of Beef Cattle in Winter and its Affect on Calving and Feed Efficiency (PDF)
- Genetic Selection for Commercial Cattlemen (PDF)
- Latest Research Reports: Evalutation of Alternative Beef Finishing Systems (PDF)
- Livestock Identification (ODA): "Who does this cow belong to"? (PDF)
- Length of Calving Season Can Affect Your Bottom Dollar (PDF)
- Manageing Calves after Dystocia (PDF)
- Management Practices (PDF)
- National Beef Quality Audit (PDF)
- Optimum Production vs. Maximum Production (PDF)
- Status of Current Eradication Programs (PDF)
- The Environmental Conscious Cow (PDF)
- To Implant or Not Implant?
Implant Table (PDF)
- USDA Beef Market Analysis (PDF)
- Winter Management of Replacement Heifers (PDF)