Safety & Risk Management

Extension Off-Campus Centralized Safety Committee

The Extension off-campus centralized safety committee web site contains information pertaining to the laws and policies of safety, the safety manual, safety committee members and the safety committee meeting notes as well as the safety self-inpsection schedule and forms.

Safety Management

In the event of an accident, injury, and/or other incident please do the following:

  • Notify the employee's supervisor within 24 hours.

Heidi Melton, OSU Human Resource

  • If medical treatment has been sought, a SAIF 801 Form must be completed (additional details provided below).


Medical Treatment

If an incident results in an employee seeking medical treatment, the SAIF 801 Form will need to be completed.  If an employee seeks medical treatment but does not intend to file a workers' compensation claim with the SAIF Corporation, the SAIF 801 form would be completed but the employee would not sign the form.

Within 24 hours of the incident fax the SAIF 801 Form to Heidi Melton, OSU Human Resources. Fax: 541-737-0553.

In addition, an employee will need to obtain a completed medical release from his/her attending physician after every treatment for an on-the job- injury using an Employee Status Report Form.

For more information, please visit the Office of Human Resources Employee Benefits website on Workers' Compensation Resources.

Risk Management

The Office of Risk Management (ORM) is committed to the stewardship of human, fiscal, and physical resources entrusted to OSU. ORM staff work with the OSU community to identify areas of potential risk and develop the most effective solutions.  Their goal is to minimize the risk of loss to OSU.  

Liability Waivers & Releases

  • Waiver of Liability Forms:
  • Volunteer Services Form and Waiver 
    Both the volunteer and the department or program that the volunteer will serve must complete the Conditions of Volunteer Service form before the volunteer begins service.  As a reminder, people who volunteer for OSU will need to complete a new form each year for volunteer service that continues into the next fiscal year, when volunteering for a different activity, or when volunteer duties change. The forms are kept by the supervising department for seven (7) years.  They can be stored electronically.

Please use only the forms approved by the Office of Risk Management (ORM) or the Office of General Counsel.  These are binding legal documents. If you need a document tailored for a specific event, please contact the ORM. 

Other Activities

Other activities that require attention to special policies related to risk management:

Property Loss or Usage

Report any loss to the Office of Risk Management immediately.

If the loss is due to theft, break in, or vandalism, also report it to law enforcement immediately. 

  • If it occurred on the University campus: contact the OSU Department of Public Safety at 541-737-3010
  • If it occurred elsewhere: contact the police department for that jurisdiction. You will need to get a copy of any police report.

Loan Agreements

International Travel

If you will be traveling outside of the United States, please review the International Travel information on the Extension Service Travel webpage.

Certificate of Insurance

If you need a certificate of insurance for proof of coverage, please request such from the OSU Risk Management Office.  ORM will need a copy of the contract or agreement. More information is available on their Certificates of Insurance website.


Please see the Acknowledgement of Safety Rules, Emergency Procedures and Hazard Communication Training form available on the OSU Environmental Health & Safety website for a listing of the 17 most common Safety Instruction trainings.  There is also a link provided to the general list of Safety Instructions for additional safety topics.