- About Us
- Statewide Resources
- Get Involved
- Find Us
Extension Service District Formation
Oregon statutes make provisions for the development of county service districts to specifically support extension educational activities. To date, citizens in 20 Oregon counties have successfully formed districts as a means of keeping the local support structure for Extension strong in their communities. Developing an extension service district is a bit complex (and potentially intimidating), so we have assembled resources and examples to help groups seeking an extension district successfully negotiate the process.
If you're considering involvement in district formation, we recommend you start by reading the document on "Formation of an Extension Service District" and the one on "Evaluating the Formation of an OSU Extension Service District: Readiness Factors and Actions to Consider." The remaining documents can help you as you progress through the process.
Service District Formation Process & Considerations
- Formation of an Extension Service District Revised Nov 2012
- Feasibility of "Joint" or "Combined" Service Districts Revised Dec 2011
- Evaluating the Formation of an OSU Extension Service District: Readiness Factors and Actions to Consider
- Forming "Political Action" Committees to Support Extension District Formation and Funding
- Tips for Running a Successful Signature Gathering Campaign
- Principles and Guidelines for Joint Service Districts, V.3
Roles and Limitations of Employees, Volunteers and Non-profits
- Public Employees: Political Campaigning Restrictions, Quick Reference
- Public Employees: Political Campaigning Restrictions Manual
- 4-H and Political Campaigns
- Master Gardeners and Political Campaigns
- Extension Service District for a November Election Revised Nov 2012
- Extension Service District for a May Election Revised Nov 2012
Examples of Formation Orders & Resolutions
- City Resolution (doc) (pdf)
- Order of Initiation (doc) (pdf)
- Notice of First Hearing (doc) (pdf)
- Order of Approval (doc) (pdf)
- Boundary Description (pdf -- Douglas County example)
- Notice of Final Hearing (doc) (pdf)
- Order for Election (doc) (pdf)
- Order of Establishment (doc) (pdf)
Need More Help?
For help understanding the extension district formation process and statutes; example documents including resolutions, notices, feasibility studies and budgets; help writing or reviewing ballot titles; campaign ideas and examples; timelines for your specific effort; or other assistance contact John Punches, OSU Extension Service District Development Specialist.