- About Us
- Statewide Resources
- Get Involved
- For Employees
- Find Us
Conferences & Events
Save the Dates for the 2016 Conference:
November 14-17, 2016
OSU Extension Annual Conference
Stronger, Together: Diverse People, Perspectives,
Programs and PlacesDecember 7-10, 2015 | CH2M Hill Alumni Center | OSU Campus
Registration will be open until November 13, 2015. Register early, and make plans to to join us!
Keynote Session: Why Millenials are Changing the Fabric of Extension (Mark Platten, Colorado State University Extension)
Understanding the four generations in the workforce is critical for Extension as we move into our next 100 years. Communication, motivation, work schedules, and so much more are vastly different between each generation.
Although we will explore the characteristics of all four generations, the millennials comprise over a third of the workforce today, and by 2025 the projections approach 75%. Therefore, like it or not, our conversation is really going to focus on the millennials and how they are changing the way we do business in Extension.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average worker stays at their job 4.4 years, with millennials about half that. Extension has one of the longest learning curves of any profession, often taking a year or more to understand the position. How do we approach the hiring/recruiting, retention, and mentoring/coaching aspects to make sure the millennials stick around long enough for us to take advantage of their skills…hopefully retaining them long term?
The second area of concern is the clientele we are currently addressing and those we hope to reach in the future. The face-to-face classroom programs may be a thing of the past in the next decade. At the very least, this sort of programming is not attractive to the millennials and the younger Xers who grew up on technology.
The third area of consideration relates to Extension’s reliance on volunteers in many of our key programs. Each generation has a particular reason for volunteering and the time, focus, and reward dynamics vary greatly. If Extension is to capitalize on the younger generations for filling our volunteer needs in the future, we will have to change how our volunteer models are structured.
This will be a conversation of possibilities based on what Extension and other industries have found to be best practices in the soup of generations in the workforce.
The keynote will be presented by Mark Platten, who is the County Director for Teller County, Colorado, with Colorado State University Extension. He is the former president of the Zeta Chapter of ESP.
Featured Speaker: The New eXtension (Christine Geith, CEO of eXtension)
Change happens. And, it's already in progress with eXtension. With a new focus on increased professional development, identifying and lifting up innovative people, programs, and projects, and creating new tools and methods for achieving local impact, eXtension is offering great opportunities for Oregon State Extension. Issues. Innovation. Impact. With these guiding words, eXtension is helping CES professionals do their work more effectively using an online constellation of people, resources and tools within Cooperative Extension while increasing their measurable local impact. Learn what's new and different with eXtension! Presenter: Christine Geith, PhD. Chief Executive Officer, eXtension Foundation
A Diverse Array of Offerings During the Concurrent Sessions
This year's conference includes something for everyone! We've worked hard to include plenty of time for program planning and networking; classes that would be of broad interest and use to all who work in Extension; an inspiring keynote and interesting concurrent sessions.
- Events Specifically for Office Staff and Classified Staff
- Director's Appreciation Lunch for Support and Classified Staff
- University Administrative Business Center (UABC) Meet and Greet
- Meet and Greet with Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- A Variety of Professional and Personal Development Classes
- Customer Service in the Academy
- How to Take Effective Event and Onsite Photos
- A Deeper Dive into Networking
- Exploring Professional Development Opportunities at OSU
- Publishing in the Journal of Extension
- Search Advocate Refresher Sessions
- Extension in an Era of Legal Marijuana in Oregon
- Retirement Workshops
- Learn About New Tools we will be Using in Extension
- Digital Measures: The next thing after SOARS
- Ideal-Logic and what it can do for you
- Welcome to the Wonderful World of EvalS
- Equity Impact Assessment (EIA): a tool to guide practice and policy
- Hear Quick, Rapid-Fire Updates on the Teaching, Research and Extension Programs from OSU Departments
- Ignite Ag: includes presentations from Ag Education, Fisherieis and Wildlife, International Plant Protection Center, Austin Family Business Center, College of Vet Med, Forest Ecosystems and Society
- Joint 4-H / FCH Ignite
- Program Planning and Trainings
- Extension Forestry Program Planning
- 4-H Planning Meeting
- OSU Open Campus / Juntos Program Planning
- Extension Agriculture Program Planning
- County Leader Training
- Introduction to Outcome-Based Extension Program Planning and Evaluation
- Home Horticulture Working Group Meeting
- FCH ProgramMeeting
- Meet Your Ag Extension Specialists
- Oregon State University Extension Association Affiliate Meetings
- OSUEA Meeting and Elections
- OSUEA4-H Affiliate Meeting
- ESP Affiliate Meeting
- OAEA Affilaite Meeting
- Family and Consumer Sciences Affiliate Meeting
- Tour On-Campus Resources and Sites
- OSU Creamery and Wine Appreciation Tour
- Forestry Tour of McDonald Forest
- Using OSU Libraries from Near and Far (hands on session and library tour)
- The Linus Pauling Science Center
- Hallie Ford Center for Healthy Children and Families
- Network, Have Fun, and Celebrate Success!
- OSUEA Cooperator, 4-H Hall of Fame and Friends of Extension Awards Banquet
- All Extension Barbecue
- Bowling and Pizza!
- OSUEA Awards Breakfast
- And much, much more!
2014 Extension Annual Conference
People, Purpose and Passion: The Pathway to Success
This year's conference will take place Sept. 28 - Oct. 2 in Corvallis. It centers around a special keynote speaker, and includes great session, tours, networking opportunities, Snap-Ed training, and the Cooperators and OSUEA Awards.
The Conference was designed by the OSUEA Board, in cooperation with Extension Administration, based on the extensive Qualtrics survey polling of Extension staff across the state.
Keynote - OSUEA invites Jay Rifenbary, renowned international speaker
His exciting “No Excuse!” program teaches, validates and supports the importance of key principles and skills, such as self-control, personal respect, forgiveness, passion and positive attitude, as they pertain to one's personal and professional success.
Confrence attendees will recieve a copy of Jay's book "No Excuse! – Incorporating Core Values, Accountability and Balance into Your Life and Career"
Be sure to arrive to the conference for Part I of Jay's presentation Monday Sept 28th at noon (lunch provided).
2014 Outreach & Engagement Events
OSUEA Board and O&E Administration are dedicated to providing opportunities for your professional development, networking with colleagues, and recognition of achievements. Based on your feedback about Spring Training and the O&E Conference, we are trying something new (and a little tried & true) for 2014.
- April 16, 2014 – Join Scott Reed as he hosts the Outreach and Engagement Colloquium – a time with the greater OSU community, exploring topics of outreach and engagement with Keynote speakers. Scott will also celebrate O&E achievements by presenting the Vice Provost Awards for Excellence.
- April 17, 2014 –Ecampus Faculty Forum. OSU colleagues review the academic year, sharing their innovative teaching methods, best practices and experiences in online course development.
- September 29 – October 2, 2014 – Extension Conference. Similar to Spring Training with two full days of sessions, the 2014 event will also include all OSUEA awards for the year, program and affiliate meetings, and fun activities to share with your fellow Extension employees.
2013 O&E Professional Development Days
- UABC EmpCenter Time and Attendance (pdf)
- UABC Accounting & Finance (pdf)
- Which Video Voodoo should You Do? An overview of web conferencing (video stream)
- Be a Social Media Star in 15 min a day (video stream)
- Program Planning for Maximum Impact (video stream)
- How to do a Needs Assessment (video stream)
- Communicating Impact (video stream)
- Extension Teaching Update: Extending High Impact Practices Beyond the Classroom (video stream)
Outreach and Engagement Strategic Conference October 29-31, 2012 (recorded presentations)