- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
ECTU supports this application.
What is Pachyderm?
- Any of various nonruminant mammals (as an elephant, a rhinoceros, or a hippopotamus) of a former group (Pachydermata) that have hooves or nails and usually thick skin; especially: elephant.
- A web-based rich-media interactive presentation authoring and publishing system.
Pachyderm is an open-source multimedia development application that provides an easy way to create highly engaging interactive modules for your Web site and mobile presentations. With Pachyderm, you can build learner-driven multimedia stories that combine text, graphics, audio, and video—without being a multimedia programmer.
Pachyderm does not behave like a website, or like a PowerPoint presentation: Instead, it offers a nonlinear means to organize and deliver content in a compelling way that takes advantage of branching and learner-driven choices.
How it Works
Pachyderm is based on a series of instructionally sound and aesthetically pleasing templates. Users download media files to the Pachyderm server, and place them into appropriate templates. The templates are linked to one another using a simple menu-driven interface. Links can also be made to external documents (PDF) and other Web pages. The resulting Pachyderm Flash presentation (or HTML5) is published to the Web for easy one-click access. The Pachyderm can also be downloaded for use off line, in presentations, mobile devices, or on CD/DVD-ROM.
Want to see Pachyderm in action?
- View a Pachyderm about Pachyderm
- Sample Presentation: "Tracks of a Pachyderm"
- Or view examples of Pachyderms created by OSU faculty and staff
- OSU Pachyderm Learning Resources: view the Pachyderm 2.1 Manual (PDF), and more. (Note we are now using version 3.0. The old manual (2.1) will still give you useful info. We will update to a new manual when that is posted.)
- Workshops: EESC provides Pachyderm training several times a year. Contact EESC to find out when the next workshop will be held.
Recorded Training Sessions:
- Intro to Pachyderm: Interactive Multimedia on the Web (Adobe Connect - 51 min)
- Introduction to Pachyderm (7:04)
- Authoring Interface (4:17)
- Media Manager Overview (5:37)
- How to Link Screens (5:31)
- Exploraton Entry Template/Home Screen (6:32)
- Aspects Template (6:02)
- Commentary Template (5:34)
- Dual Comparison Template (5:26)
- Enlargement Template (4:07)
- Full-Screen SWF Template (3:59)
- Layers Template (6:05)
- Media Focus Template (4:56)
- Series Template (7:44)
- Slider Template (5:12)
- Zoom Template (3:26)
- Sample Presentation Design Flowchart (PDF)"
- More Pachyderm Resources by PachyForge
- How to link to a published Pachyderm from my site: use the Pachyderm Link Conversion Tool to convert the URL of a Pachyderm presentation hosted at osupachyderm.org into a link that you can copy and paste onto your webpage.