- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
Sea Safety Courses
Currently Scheduled Courses (click for Fall Schedule flyer)
SPACE IS LIMITED and PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!
NEWPORT: October 31-November 1 or November 5-6 Click for Flyer or contact Michele at the Lincoln County Extension Office at 541-574-6534.
Classes in Newport are held at Englund Marine from 7:45am to 5:00pm on the two days. Pre-registration is required!
Complete Course Schedule including areas outside Lincoln County
- Brookings: October 22-23 - Contact: Kathy Hall 541-469-7830
- Port Orford: October 24-25 - Contact: Steve Kee 541-756-9224
- Coos Bay (Charleston): October 29-30 - Contact: Steve Kee 541-756-9224
- Newport #1: Ocbober 31-November 1 - Contact: Michele Osterhoudt 541-574-6534
- Newport #2: November 5-6 - Contact: Michele Osterhoudt 541-574-6534
- Astoria: November 7-8 - Contact Mike Rudolf 503-240-9337 or Curt Farrell 503-240-9373
If you are unable to attend these trainings and would like to be informed when other courses are scheduled, please send your Name, Phone, Email and Mailing Address to Michele Osterhoudt at the Lincoln County Extension Office: email@example.com or 541-574-6534.
Hands-On Safety Training - training required by 46 CFR 28.270(c)
Classes are held over two days from 7:45 am to 5:00 pm. They are designed to develop and hone your skills in the use of immersion suits, distress signals, MAYDAY call, life raft use, fighting a fire, flooding control and vessel stability.
To meet the requirements of 46 CFR 28.270(c), Drill Conductor Sea Safety Courses are offered periodically throughout the year to commercial fishermen and women along the Oregon Coast. Thanks to the support of AMSEA and the Oregon Crab, Trawl and Albacore Commissions, these classes are currently being offered by the US Coast Guard free of charge. Space is limited, so preregistration is always required.
Recent courses have been held in Newport, Coos Bay, Charleston and Astoria. If no courses are currently scheduled and you would like to see about having a course in your area, please contact Curt Farrell at 503-240-9373 or Mike Rudolf at 503-240-9337.
What you need to know or bring to class:
- Every person must have picture ID
- This class will be physically demanding, including timed immersion suit donning, entering the water, then into a life raft, starting pumps, putting out fires, etc.
- Expect to sign a liability waiver
- Bring rain gear, change of clothes and a towel
- Bring your own immersion suit if you have one (we have extras for those who don’t)
Topics of Instruction
- Personal Safety Gear
- Personal Safety Kit
- Safety Regulations
- Onboard Drills
- Dewatering Pumps
- USCG Rescue
- Preparation For Emergency
- Cold Water Survival Skills
- In water Practicum
- Patching and Plugging
- Marine Fire Fighting
- Flare/Raft Practicum
- Immersion Suits/PFDs
- Inflatable Life Rafts