- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
New Volunteer Training
New volunteer trainings are required for all 4-H volunteer leaders and educators.
The new volunteer training is a combination of three simple steps utilizing both web-based education and face to face meetings:
- Step 1: Contact the 4-H help desk at 503-821-1119 to schedule your New Volunteer Training or register for an existing New Volunteer Training. Trainings can be held at the 4-H office or at a location that is convenient for you (e.g., the school where your club will be meeting).
- Step 2: Complete the online E-Learning course, the password is volunteer
E-Learning is composed of four modules, about 15 - 20 minutes each, to provide basic orientation for volunteers and allows you to complete a portion of new volunteer training from the comfort of your home. Each module is interactive, including appealing graphics, quizzes, and connected infromation. The learning is self-paced and when each module is completed the volunteer receives a completion certificate, while the local Extension staff is notified that the volunteer has completed the module.
What to Expect at the Training:
4-H faculty will conduct a 2-hour hands-on training which will focus on:
- experiential learning
- developing, promoting and managing your youth program
- risk management for youth and adults
- components of positive youth development
- the mission, vision, and structure of the 4-H program
- volunteer opportunities within 4-H in Multnomah & Washington counties