- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
You are more than just a volunteer in 4-H... You are instrumental in inspiring the next generation.
4-H looks to volunteers like you to help young people learn the skills they need to prepare for careers in the 21st century while also having fun!
In 4-H, youth learn through opportunities in which they:
- master life challenges
- cultivate independence with guidance from caring adults
- gain a sense of belonging within a positive group
- share a spirit of generosity with others
Volunteers are essential to help youth make the most of these learning opportunities. According to recent research, youth who are provided with positive adult interactions grow to become strong, confident young adults (Tufts University, 2006).
Benefits of Volunteering with 4-H
- Share your knowledge and skills with youth while helping them succeed in life
- Help youth develop character and responsibility
- Leave a legacy for future generations
- Support the growth and development of your own children
- Be involved in your community while making a difference
- Receive training from Oregon State University faculty in Positive Youth Development and program management
- Gain knowledge and skills in developing learning opportunities for youth and adult volunteers
- Enhance your leadership skills while networking with a wide variety of local, state and federal partners in the fields of education, natural resources, science, and sustainability