- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
Beef Quality Assurance trainings set
November 7, 2008
CORVALLIS, Ore. – Two beef quality assurance educational sessions, presented by Oregon State University Extension Service and the Polk County Livestock Association, are planned for November in Dallas and at the North Willamette Research and Extension Center in Aurora.
The events will help Oregon beef producers apply quality assurance practices and become “BQA”- certified.
The session in Dallas is Monday, Nov. 17, from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Academy Building Room 220. The second session is Tuesday, Nov. 18, from 9 a.m. to noon at the North Willamette Research and Extension Center, 15210 N.E. Miley Road in Aurora. Topics are:
- Management practices that inspire a commitment to quality production at every level;
- Beef production benchmarks through national BQA audits;
- Establishing best management practices as standard operating procedures;
- Documenting and verifying management and husbandry practices throughout the supply chain;
- Managing cattle to reduce the incidence of common cattle diseases;
- Preventing introduction and spread of foreign or emerging animal diseases.
"We’ll demonstrate and discuss cattle management practices that are becoming more important to the cattle industry as we continue to improve the quality and consistency of our beef products," said Gene Pirelli, OSU’s Extension regional livestock and forage specialist. More details are available on the Beef Quality Assurance Web site.
"The trainings are informative, educational, community-oriented events for the entire family," Pirelli said. "All beef producers, regardless of the size of the operation, are encouraged to attend and learn about this very important part of our day-to-day business."
Oregon beef quality assurance programming is sponsored in part by Beef Checkoff.
There is no charge for these workshops, however pre-registration is requested. To pre-register, call the Polk County OSU Extension Office at 503-623-8395 or email Gene Pirelli.
Source: Gene Pirelli