Engagement Scholarship Consortium – Emerging Engagement Scholars Pre-Conference Workshops
This intensive professional development program provides advanced doctoral students and early career faculty with background literature, facilitated discussion, mentoring, and presentations designed to increase their knowledge and enhance their practice of community engaged scholarship. Participation is limited and interested applicants must be nominated by their faculty advisor/mentor or department chairperson.
Applicants for this program should be:
Doctoral students or junior faculty members with an interest in community engagement and engaged scholarship, and involved or interested in research that contributes to their discipline while making a positive impact on external stakeholders.
Applicants must also demonstrate:
- A desire for new learning about engaged scholarship.
- An interest in working with faculty across disciplines to explore and learn more about how engaged scholarship might be carried out.
- The capacity to effectively communicate the results of their research to public, academic, and other external audiences.
- The application process for the Emerging Engagement Scholars Workshop is competitive, with only 15-20 participants selected each year.
- Engagement Master Class: Foundations of engaged scholarship.
- Panel discussion with faculty, administrators and cooperative extension staff on disciplinary, institutional type and community partner considerations for engaged scholarship.
- Small group work with a designated faculty mentor (includes discussion about methods and theories, with a focus on each individual participant's proposed engaged scholarship).
- Panel discussion with journal editors from peer-reviewed publications that publish engaged scholarship.
- Engagement Master Class: Considerations for working with community partners.
- Panel discussion with scholars along with their community partner about the challenges and successes of their work.
Through the generous support of its Board of Directors, the Engagement Scholarship Consortium Conference provides registration scholarships to all Workshop participants, so that they can take full advantage of the larger conference program.
Applications for the 2014 Emerging Engagement Scholars Workshop are due Wednesday, April 30, 2014.
For more information and for application materials, visit the application website.