Oregon State University 4-H Hall of Fame Honors Three Volunteers
Three Oregon State University 4-H volunteers have been chosen for the
4-H Hall of Fame and will be recognized at the OSU Extension 4-H Summer Conference
June 25 on campus.
The inductees are George and Glendel Campbell of Canby and Miriam Lowrie of Salem. They join 144 others who have had a significant impact upon the 4-H Youth Development Program and its members and leaders.
In Clackamas County 4-H, the Campbells stand out for their impact on educational programs, volunteer leadership and fundraising. They helped make the 4-H horse program better for an estimated 4,500 Clackamas County 4-H members and they started and led the Bit ‘N Bridle 4-H Club for 25 years.
George Campbell has organized educational clinics for more than 14 years and was the State Fair trail coordinator for many years; Glendel has been treasurer of the Clackamas County 4-H Horse Advisory group for 20 years. The Campbells have been recognized many times by the Clackamas County 4-H Program and have been awarded the Distinguished Service Award and the Friends of 4-H Award.
Lowrie began her Extension career in Hood River County in 1971, then transferred to Yamhill County and ended her Extension career in Polk County after 22 years. She continues to support the 4-H program as a resource leader, award donor and judge.
Lowrie encourages youth and leaders to stretch their capabilities. She has a strong home economics background and as an Extension agent also support the other areas of 4-H, from chickens to ceramics, and from leadership to llamas. With Lowrie's encouragement, Polk County became the first and only county in the state to have a 4-H Eye Vision Club, where participants learn about eyes and eye disease, and perform community service through organizing eye exams at local schools and collecting and shipping used eyeglasses to developing countries.
By Judy Scott, 541-737-1386, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Helen Pease, 541-737-1314, email@example.com