Extension Skills Webinars: Tools and Techniques for Managing and Resolving Conflict
This series of webinars is intended to provide broad based topics that many Extension educators may need to be successful. Please email Jim Lindstrom with other topics that you would find of interest. Each webinar is from 9:00-10:00a.m. Pacific Time, and is located at http://breeze.wsu.edu/ext_skills/.
July Webinar Series: Tools and Techniques for Managing and Resolving Conflict
Effective Communication: The Basis of Conflict Resolution
Date: July 25, 2012
When conflict arises, it signals the need for communication and problem solving. To solve a problem effectively both parties must first understand each other’s viewpoint, assumptions, and underlying needs. This requires good communication skills that enable an exchange of information and convey interest in and respect for the other party. Such skills include the effective use of body language, speech, and listening, all of which are essential to managing and resolving conflict.
This session will:
- Introduce general communication styles
- Look at the role of verbal and nonverbal communication in conflict
- Present basic principles and techniques of better communication
A Framework for Problem Solving
Date: August 1, 2012
Daily we are faced with issues that require us to make decisions with others. In most conflicts, neither party is right or wrong; instead, differences in perceptions, values and ideas collide to create disagreement. When disagreements arise, good problem solving skills are essential.
This session will:
- Introduce the steps of problem solving
- Show how to use communication skills to define problems and uncover interests
- Introduce techniques for generating and evaluating solutions
- Present options for when resolution cannot be reached