Staff Achievements and Awards
Association for Communication Excellence (ACE)
- Dave King, associate provost for Outreach and Engagement at Oregon State University, has been awarded the 2012 Association for Communication Excellence (ACE) Professional Award — the highest award conferred by ACE.
- Ariel Ginsburg, publishing manager of OSU’s Department of Extension and Experiment Station Communications, received the Western Region Pioneer Award for her leadership and participation in managing educational and publishing projects for OSU Extension.
- Peg Herring, department head of Extension and Experiment Station Communications, received the Outstanding Professional Skill Award, a silver award for Writing for Magazines, and a gold award for Writing
within a Specialized Publication.
- Lynn Ketchum, video producer and photographer with Extension and Experiment Station Communications, received a gold and silver award for Environmental Portrait or Personality Photo and a gold and bronze award for Picture Story.
Additionally, OSU Extension and Experiment Station Communications was honored with the silver award for Magazines and Periodicals, and the bronze award for Special Report.
University Day Award Winners 2012
- Patty Skinkis, assistant professor and viticulture extension specialist in the Department of Horticulture - The Outreach and Engagement Award
- Greg Thompson, Jonathan Velez, Kellie Strawn, Misty Lambert and Kristopher Elliott from the Department of Agricultural Education and General Agriculture - The Student Learning and Success Teamwork Award
Journal of Extension (JOE)
The following Extension faculty will have articles published in the June 2012 JOE issue:
- Lynette Black: "Disaster Preparedness and the Cooperative Extension Service".
- Lynette Black, Julie Smith, and Linda Williams: "Emergency Exercise Participation and Evaluation"
- Katherine B. Gunter, Kelly R. Rice, and Stewart G. Trost: "Nutrition and Physical Activity Policies and Practices in Family Child Care Homes in Oregon: Baseline Findings from the Healthy Home Child Care Project".
- Melinda M. Manore, Ninfa Peña-Purcell, Elaine Bowen, Virginie Zoumenou, Ellen R. Schuster, May Boggess, and Shirley A. Gerrior: "Extension Professionals' Strengths, and Needs Related to Nutrition and Health Programs".
- Candi Bothum, Amy Derby, Jeremy Green, and Marilyn K. Lesmeister: "Parallel Volunteer Learning During Youth Programs".
National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA)
- Sandy Macnab received the National Association of County Agricultural Agents 2012 Western Region Hall of Fame Award at their annual conference held in July. The conference program with Sandy's award information is available here (PDF).
New York Times Publication
- Extension forester Nicole Strong's WOWNet program was the focus of a July 10, 2012 article in the New York Times. The article titled "The Chain Saw Circle: Women of the Woodlands" is available online.
Society of American Foresters
- Steve Fitzgerald, Extension forester located in the Deschutes County Office, will receive the 2012 National Technology Transfer and Extension Award from the Society of American Foresters.
Western Agriculture Economics Association (WAEA)
- Bruce Sorte, Extension Community Economist for Agricultural and Resource Economics, will receive the 2012 Western Agricultural Economics Association "Outstanding Extension Program Award for Career" in June 2012 at the WAEA annual meeting in Park City UT.