Navigating Difference in a Multicultural Workplace May 3-5
Navigating Difference is a skill based cultural competency training designed to enhance the ability of faculty, staff, students, and administrators to work effectively with diverse audiences. This training is being offered May 3-5 at OSU at the Memorial Union.
- Enhance your ability to work and thrive in a multicultural workplace.
- Enhance your ability to succeed in a global, multicultural marketplace.
Module One: Cultural Awareness Skill Set
- Recognize your own culture(s), including your organizational culture.
- Explore personal and cultural values, biases, prejudices and views.
- Identify similarities and differences among cultures.
- Identify ways in which culture shapes beliefs, practices, and values.
Module Two: Cultural Understanding Skill Set
- Understand the developmental nature of cultural competencies.
- Describe issues and concerns which arise when values, beliefs, and practices differ from those of the dominant culture.
- Recognize ways culture affects participation in educational programs.
Module Three: Cultural Knowledge Skill Set
- Develop familiarity with specific cultures, especially the ways in which they differ from one’s own.
- Use conceptual and theoretical models for understanding human culture.
- Identify and work with appropriate cultural guides
Module Four: Cultural Interaction Skill Set
- Recognize factors impacting successful intercultural communication.
- Use concepts and theories of intercultural communication.
- Manage intercultural conflicts effectively.
- Interact productively and seek input and guidance from cultural partners.
- Form new programmatic partnerships across intercultural difference.
Module Five ~ Cultural Sensitivity Skill Set
- Identify historical and sociological influences on cultural interactions.
- Recognize the impact of privilege, inequality and oppression.
For more information and registration form contact: Daniel McGrath 503-931-8307