The Inner City Youth Institute (ICYI) is an innovative mentoring program that focuses on connecting urban youth to natural resources. We do this through:
- Creating a safe environment for students to develop new skills while they explore natural resources in their communities.
- Providing learning experiences that are hands-on, including experiments, field trips, service and research projects and career fairs;
- Offering year round opportunities for including: weekly meetings, summer camps, service learning projects and internships.
ICYI serves underrepresented, underserved youth in grades 6-12 within the Portland Metro Area. The primary audience is high school students who then provide peer to peer mentoring to younger children in grades 4-8.
Academic and career development is an integral part of the Inner City Youth Institute. ICYI staff and mentors help students discover the breadth and depth of opportunities in the natural resource fields.
ICYI strives to raise student awareness about the importance of higher education and assist students in reaching their educational goals. Whether students plan to enter a vocational program, community college or university, ICYI helps create pathways to success.
- Increase youth awareness, understanding and appreciation of the environment.
- Increase youth participation in outdoor recreation opportunities.
- Increase number of high school graduates entering natural resource degree programs at community colleges and universities.
- Reduce and help prevent youth unemployment by providing college preparation and career development opportunities.
- Reduce and help prevent juvenile delinquency through afterschool mentoring focused on natural resource education, service learning and civic engagement.