- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
Food Preservation, Safety and Storage
Check out our publications site for current, complete and research-based OSU Extension Service Food Preservation instructions.
Food Preservation Classes in our local area.
Have any questions this canning season?
Call the Food Safety/Preservation Hotline and get answers from Master Food Preserver certified volunteers and OSU Extension staff. The hotline is open from July 15 – October 11 2013. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.
For more information check out the Food Safety/Preservation Hotline flyer.
Master Food Preservers
We’re so excited to provide more opportunities for our new and veteran volunteers to serve the public. This year you will see Master Food Preserver Volunteers educating the public about safe food handling and preservation over the phone, at workshops, and at exhibits and demonstrations at sites such as farmers' markets and county fairs.
Whether you’re new to canning or are looking to brush up on some skills OSU Extensions community classes are a great way to exercise fun and safe canning practices. See below for available classes.
Join us on Monday’s this summer and learn a wide range of preserving skills. Covering Fruits, Vegetables, Meat, Pickles and Tomatoes you will learn researched methods and recipes for nearly all your preserving needs. Choose which days you want to attend or register for all four classes for a 10% discount. All classes will be held at the Bohemian Gourmet Food LLC located at 8045 SW Nimbus Ave. Beaverton, OR 97008.
Registration form is now available containing additional details on the series and is also how cash and check payment options will be processed. To pay online select the “credit card” link to our online registration page. Call 503-821-1150 with questions.
- July 8th - Preserving Fruit Products/Boiling Water Canning, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. ($25). Pay by Credit card.
- July 15th - Vegetables & Meat/ Pressure Canning and Drying, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. ($25). Pay by Credit card.
- July 22nd - Pickle Making, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. ($25). Pay by Credit card.
- July 29th - Tomatoes, Sauces & Salsas, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. ($25). Pay by Credit card.
Take all four classes - Fruits, Vegetables & Meat, Pickles, and Tomatoes - $90. Pay by Credit card.
Hey Portland! Do you have more produce than you know what to do with? Come join us Thursday's this summer and learn researched methods and recipes for nearly all your preserving needs. All classes will be held at the Fremont Methodist Church 2620 NE Fremont St. Portland, OR , from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
The Registration process will be handled by Portland Community College. To view the complete list of Spring Food Preservation Classes and additional registration information please visit PCC’s “Summer 2013 Non-Credit Class Schedule”.
- July 11th - Preserving Fruit Products/Boiling Water Canning, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Class is $39 for tuition and materials.
- July 25th - Vegetables & Meat/ Pressure Canning and Drying, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Class is $39 for tuition and materials.
- August 8th - Tomatoes, Sauces & Salsas, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Class is $39 for tuition and materials.
- August 22nd - Pickle Making, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Class is $39 for tuition and materials.
4 Ways to Register:
- Online: My.Pcc.Edu
- On the Phone: PCC Registration Hotline- (971) 722-8888 Option 2
- In Person: Visit any PCC Campus Registration/Admission offices from Monday-Thursday 8am-6pm (Fri 8a-4 p). For a list of offices please visit PCC’s Registration information Page.
- Mail: Using PCC’s Non-Credit Registration Form mail completed form to:
PO Box 19210
Portland OR 97280-0210
Anyone in the Gresham area that wants to brush up on their canning skils should check out this series offered at Mount Hood Community College. Classes are held on every other Wednesday starting June 26th. Take one or all of the classes in the series and learn the safe and proper way to preserve Fruits, Vegetables, Meat, Pickles and Tomatoes.
The registration process and class will be held at Mount Hood Community College. To view the complete list of Food Preservation Classes and additional registration information please visit MHCC’s “Food Preservation Class Schedule”.
- June 26th. CN:HEC4C1 S# 91- Preserving Fruit Products/Boiling Water Canning, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Class is $25 for tuition and materials.
- July 17th. CN:HEC4C1 S# 92-Vegetables & Meat/ Pressure Canning and Drying, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Class is $25 for tuition and materials.
- July 31st. CN:HEC4C1 S# 93-Pickle Making, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Class is $25 for tuition and materials.
- August 14th. CN:HEC4C1 S94-Tomatoes, Sauces & Salsas, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Class is $25 for tuition and materials.
3 Ways to Register:
MHCC Community Education
26000 SE Stark St.
Gresham, OR 97030
National Center for Home Food Preservation. 1000's of pages of research-tested home food preservation directions including the USDA Complete Guide to Canning.
"So Easy to Preserve" University of Georgia publication and DVD videos. (Information).
OSU Food Safety Resources: Increase safe food practices during food preparation
We Wish You Well — Food Safety Module - This module provides lessons on how to keep food safe and to prevent foodborne illness.
Food Safety Resources:
http://www.foodsafety.gov/ - Gateway to government food safety information
* In an emergency, food, water and shelter are basic needs that come first. Though every family will have different needs in an emergency, your goal should be to have at least a 72 hour supply of food and water on hand.
Food Storage Resources:
Safe Home Food Storage - Texas A&M University/Texas Agricultural Extension Service
Food Storage, Preparation & Handling - USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service
Frozen Food and Power Outages: What to Save and When to Throw Out - FoodSafety.gov