You really don't need any licensing or training to begin captaining a commercial fishing vessel. The Coast Guard will require a training course in First aid, CPR, emergency response, drug testing for crew members in case of certain accidents at sea, etc, and you will need to find out when these trainings are held so that you don't get cited during a boarding at sea, but you can begin captaining a commercial fishing vessel prior to those trainings.

The Clatsop Community College Maritime Training Center in Astoria offers courses in many aspects of maritime vessel operation and training and can certify you for a licence in merchant marine operation. This training and certification would be valuable if you ever decided to pursue a career in the merchant marine outside of fishing.

Was this page helpful?

Related Content from OSU Extension

Ask an Expert

Have a Question? Ask an Expert!

Ask an Expert is a way for you to get answers from the Oregon State University Extension Service. We have experts in family and health, community development, food and agriculture, coastal issues, forestry, programs for young people, and gardening.

Ask Us a Question