The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (VDL) provides testing for Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDV) and Swine Delta Coronavirus (SDCoV), the causative agents of Swine Enteric Coronavirus Diseases (SECD). The VDL will test your affected animals for these viruses at no charge to you if:
- Pigs have clinical signs consistent with infection by these viruses, and
- The facility at which the pigs are located has a Premises Identification Number (PIN)
In addition, follow-up surveillance testing at facilities with confirmed SECD cases will be provided at no charge to the client.
The test provided by the VDL will also detect Transmissible Gastroenteritis Virus (TGEV) and Porcine Rotavirus (PRV), infections having clinical signs similar to those caused by PEDV and SDCoV.
NOTE: If you do not currently have a PIN, please contact the office of the State Veterinarian, Oregon Department of Agriculture.
If your pigs have signs consistent with SECD and you want to utilize this free service, then:
- Collect 2-3 grams of fresh feces, fecal swab, small intestine, intestinal contents, or intestinal scraping in a sealed, leak-proof container. Gloves are not acceptable. Place the specimens on ice packs and ship or deliver to the VDL within 24 hours for delivery by Friday. No weekend deliveries accepted. (Note: A valid PIN must be provided for this service.)
- Deliver to
- Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
- Oregon State University
- Magruder Hall 134
- Corvallis, OR 97331-4801
- Request the "Porcine PEDV-SDCoV-TGEV-PRV RT-PCR Panel".
Turnaround time is 1-2 business days.
We highly recommend consulting your local veterinarian if you suspect infection of your animals by these viruses.
If you and your veterinarian determine a need, we will forward positive PEDV and SDCoV specimens to another AAVLD accredited laboratory for sequencing. (Fees will be assessed for sequencing services.)
For additional information include access to VDL accession forms and instructions for proper shipping of specimens, please visit the College of Veterinary Science website or phone us at (541)737-3261.