Are Rhubarb Leaves Toxic?


Rhubarb leaves are toxic and humans should never ingest them. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health symptoms can include:

  • Breathing difficulty
  • Burning in the mouth
  • Burning in the throat
  • Coma
  • Diarrhea
  • Eye pain
  • Kidney stones
  • Nausea
  • Red-colored urine
  • Seizures
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

Severity is determined by Patient's age, weight, and condition; Variety of rhubarb; Time it was swallowed before treatment; and Amount swallowed.

Serious poisonings can result in kidney failure. Deaths have been reported, but are rare.

Oregon State University Horticulture staff also support the recommendation to not eat rhubarb leaves because they are toxic to humans.

The stems are safe to eat.

Was this page helpful?

Related Content from OSU Extension

Ask an Expert

Have a question? Ask an Expert!

Ask an Expert is a way for you to get answers from the Oregon State University Extension Service. We have experts in family and health, community development, food and agriculture, coastal issues, forestry, programs for young people, and gardening.