I want to soak salt out of my pickles because of blood pressure problems. Will I lose the beneficial microbes that way?
Thanks for the question. We definitely want you to enjoy your pickles without creating more health problems.
Assuming that these pickles are already done fermenting or have been processed, then you could soak them to decrease the salt (and the acid) - especially if you are going to eat them right away. If you going to eat them "later" (after more than 2 hours), then you will need to store them in the refrigerator. With the salt and acid reduced, they are more likely to mold.
To clarify: There are no beneficial bacteria in quick pickles, but there are live bacteria in fermented pickles (if they have not been pasteurized or canned after fermentation). Soaking would not have much, if any, impact on the type or amount of bacteria in the pickles.
Thanks for using Ask Extension!