Become a BB&B Instructor
The Better Bones & Balance® Instructor Training Course
The BBB Instructor training course is a two-day training delivered by a team of OSU researchers and BBB Master Trainers. Learn the latest research and information about exercise programming to promote skeletal health, reduce the risks for falls, and support adults to improve overall health and well-being.
Material is presented through lectures and practical sessions that build knowledge, skills, and confidence to deliver the BBB program safely and effectively.
Lecture topics include:
- Programming and Fitness Leadership
- Introduction & Overview of Better Bones & Balance®
- Research Review on Bone Health/Osteoporosis including the effects of targeted exercise on falls and fracture
- Aging and Physical Activity (concepts and concerns)
Practical portions of the training includes:
- Participation in an exercise class led by a Certified BBB instructor
- Hands on small group learning and practice of the BBB 5 Key Exercises
- Observation of a community-based BBB class including a wide array of class participant skill levels (beginner to advanced) and ages (50-90)
- A hands-on practical session about how to integrate balance training with the key BBB exercise
Practical and written assessments help you learn about areas of strength and areas for improvement
- The 2019 Instructor Training will be taking place September 5th & 6th!
- Registration is now open!
- Licensure is good for three years. After three years, all instructors must be recertified.
- Training is on-site in Corvallis, Oregon at the LBCC Benton Center
- Please see our Hotel Stay Information Page for details on discounted hotel rooms near the training venue.
- Training includes all BBB curriculum, an exercise flipbook, cotton t-shirt, catered lunch, snacks and refreshments.
- Full Refunds up to 2 weeks prior to the training date.
- 50% Refund up to 4 days before.
- $25 Refund less than 4 days before the training.
Do you have to recertify as a Better Bones & Balance® Instructor?
Upon successful completion of your certification, you will become a licensed and certified Better Bones & Balance® instructor. Licensing fees are required (currently $50 for non-profit and $125 for individual or personal licensure). Certification is good for three (3) years. After this time, you will need to recertify by completing continuing education and documenting your teaching experience.
There are two ways to recertify:
- Follow the steps detailed on the BB&B Licensing Re-certification Application and attach the relevant documentation. Please note that you will need to show documentation for 8 CEUs (6 general fitness and 2 skeletal health and/or fall/fracture prevention courses).
- Join us again for the Instructor Training program – but take the short course! Those who re-certify have the option to join us for 1.5 days of the annual BBB Instructor training. The 2019 Instructor Training will be on September 5th & 6th. Registration for the 2019 training is now open!