Restored Upland/Wetland Prairie and Oak Savanna Tour
11782 Jefferson Highway 99E Southeast
Jefferson, OR 97352
Restored Upland/Wetland Prairie and Oak Savanna Tour – LET’S LOOK AT SOMETHING NEW!!!!!
There is good information on our work being done on our website:
Check out some enticing photos on Dropbox.
Lynda Boyer, Restoration Biologist and Native Seed Manager for Heritage Seedlings, will lead a tour of one of their farms just south of Salem with and incredible 200 acres of habitat restored to its former savanna glory. We will do multiple stops in order to discuss a variety of restoration techniques to remove invasive species and prepare the site for native seed and plants. We will look at seeded areas 5-10 years after seeding and discuss follow-up management techniques to help the plant community thrive.
The Eastern Tour route will focus on:
- Our newest seeded area (2014) (former fallow grass field) non-native grass control with grass-specific herbicides, seeding rates and native cover in forb only areas vs native fescue areas, and success of direct seeding the Listed Species Erigeron decumbens and Horkelia congesta;
- Teasel/blackberry/thistle control in area seeded in 2008 and not controlled after seeding – triage approach!
- Remnant oak savanna burned in 2009 and drilled/broadcast seeded with native forbs not formally in the area – A SEA OF ROSY PLECTRITIS J - IT WORKED!
- Oak thinning, brush control, woodland density, savanna density – what goes into those decisions.
Bring your camera, field guide, binoculars and lunch (outhouses at start and ¾ through tour)
There is no attendance limit (she has a microphone) but please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions to Jefferson Farm – Main Gate (follow the tour signs from there)
11782 Jefferson Hwy/99E SE (also known as Hwy 164), Jefferson, OR 97352
- From I-5 North or South, take exit #244 (N. Jefferson)
- Head south on Jefferson road
- Go about ¾ mile to green farm gate on left (flagged)
- Farm gate is just before mp1, and if you see Steiwer Lane on the left you have gone too far
- Follow the signs for parking