Hopkins Homeschool & Forest Field Day
Hopkins Demonstration Forest
16750 South Brockway Road
Oregon City, OR 97045
An Opportunity for Homeschool Groups
The Hopkins Demonstration Forest in partnership with Oregon State University, Clackamas County Extension Service is hosting a FREE day in the woods for homeschool groups, support networks, and youth organizations. Most activities are targeted for grades 2-12, but all grade levels (single or blended) are welcome.
The self-guided day will include a variety of grade-appropriate activities and educational stations spread across the 140-acre forest. Some stations will have staffed educator lead activities while others will be participant-led. All supplies will be provided at each station or to participants to checkout for the day.
Group check-in and equipment handout begins at 8:30am and closes at 11:30am with forest programs concluding at 1:30pm. Final checkout/equipment return no later than 2:00pm.
For more information contact Peter Matzka.
We have had an overwhelming response to this program. Registration is closed on this event. Please contact Jean Bremer to be added to a list for future homeschool events such as this.
Hopkins Forest Field Day Experiences and Stations
- Wildlife track & pelt identification
- Water quality measurements & aquatic invertebrates identification
- Plant identification
- Geocaching & orienteering
- Forest management & recreation in Oregon
- Outdoor nutrition and fitness
- Investigate a tree’s age, growth, & its parts
- Art, craft, & journaling stations
- And MORE!
What to Bring
- Dress for the weather & plan for 3-4 hours in the outdoors
- Footwear to walk on forest trails (some steep) & gravel roads
- Bring a backpack with food, water, sunscreen, etc.
- Strollers are not recommended