A Walk in the Woods: Carbon Farming in the Forest
Join local forest steward, Jon Stewart, on a walking exploration of his family’s Raincloud Tree Farm. Hear about the steps they and their partners are taking to understand and demonstrate climate smart forestry. With rising concerns about changing climate, this is an opportunity to learn about ways that local forests can contribute to reducing CO2 levels while also being healthy, productive forests. Participants will learn about and discuss the forest and carbon management strategies at Raincloud Tree Farm, including challenges of carbon accounting and marketing. Discussion will cover possible wood product pathways to provide an optimal carbon outcome.
- How can such forest-to-product pathways be supported by foresters, manufacturers, architects, builders, and customers?
- What’s needed for landowner assistance, wood procurement, and public policy to support an optimal forest carbon outcome?
- Address and directions will be sent to registered participants.
- Dress for the weather and be prepared for hiking about 1.5 miles on forest roads and trails.
- Please bring your own lunch. Light refreshments will be provided.
- Contact Glenn Ahrens more information.
- Parking on site for up to 30 vehicles. We request you carpool if possible.
Thank you to our Partners!
Partners on this woods walk include the Build Local Alliance, the Pinchot Institute for Conservation, and Ecotrust.