505 North Columbia River Highway
St Helens, OR 97051
Jul 6 - Oct 29, 2021
Please call ahead to ensure staff availability for a free pressure canner gauge test: 503-397-3462.
Pressure canners with a dial gauge need to be tested every year before you use them for accuracy. Canning with a gauge that is off can result in under-processing of home canned foods, which is unsafe. The OSU Extension office is able to test your dial gauges for free on an appointment basis. Please follow these instructions when you bring in your canner.
- Please call ahead to ensure staff availability: 503-397-3462.
- Bring your canner lid(s) with the gauge attached to the Extension office for your FREE test.
- Make sure your canner lid is cleaned and sanitized BEFORE you bring it to the extension office.
- Come to the front door of the building and either come inside (with face-covering) and sign in, or use the welcome window for walk-up service.
- If there are other people waiting, please maintain at least 6 feet of physical distancing and wear a face covering.
- Staff will test the gauge while wearing a face-covering.
- You are welcome to leave your gauge and return for it later or wait for the process to be completed - usually no longer than a few minutes per gauge.
- The gauge will be tested using calibrated equipment.
- You will receive a completed pressure gauge test report and printed canning information, if requested.
- If you have any questions please contact Jenny Rudolph at [email protected] or 503-397-3462.
If you are concerned about your pressure gauge, or are unable to bring it in for testing, we recommend that you convert your dial gauge to use a weighted pressure regulator for canning at 5, 10 or 15 pounds pressure. See the following manufacturer websites for information and how to order the weights.