I am looking for the recipe for making home made corned beef.
Here is the recipe we use in the Master Food Preserver class. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Deli-Style Corned Beef or Tongue:
- 1 Beef brisket or tongue, 4 - 6 lbs
- 5 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Trim surface fat from brisket. In a small bowl, mix Morton Tender Quick mix, and remaining ingredients, and spices. Rub mixture into all sides of brisket or tongue. Place brisket or tongue in plastic bag and tie end securely. Refrigerate and allow to cure 5 days per inch of meat thickness. Place brisket or tongue in Dutch oven. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until tender, about 3 to 4 hours.