Jul 23, 2022
Grab your camera and join us on iNaturalist to capture the insects, birds, wild plants, and other wild organisms in your garden or a nearby community or public garden space. Your efforts will help to document garden biodiversity in Oregon!
- Create an iNaturalist account, if you don't already have one.
- Find and join the Summer 2022 Master Gardener BioBlitz project page on iNaturalist.
- On July 23rd, grab your camera, and start taking photos of the wild plants and animals in a garden. The garden can be your own, or a community garden space.
- Note #1: domesticated animals (such as a dog) and plants (such as garden vegetables or plants that you intentionally planted) are not what we are looking for with this BioBlitz. We are looking for wild plants (such as native trees or weeds) and animals.
- Note #2: iNaturalist observations require a photograph and a location. A smartphone is not required, but the iNaturalist App is the simplest way to add observations. Alternatively, you can upload images from a digital camera via your account on the iNaturalist website.
- Upload your observations of insects to our iNaturalist project page, and see what other gardeners across Oregon have found in their own garden.
If you would like to participate, but are unfamiliar with or unsure of how to use iNaturalist, we can help!
- Our FREE and self-paced 'iNaturalist for Master Gardeners' online short course goes through the basics of how to identify plants and insects, using the iNaturalist platform. This short course should take approximately one hour to complete, and is offered on the Thinkific Learning platform.
If you have never taken a Thinkific course, these brief videos can help you get started: