Search OSU Extension

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 results.

What's a pet-safe way to kill moss in my lawn?

Q: My lawn has been taken over by moss this winter, and I am wondering if there is a pet-safe moss killer on the market that won't kill my grass also? I have read your materials on moss control, and I plan to utilize this information to maintain a healthier lawn, but I need to get rid of the moss first.

A: View answer | View all featured questions

What’s That Moss Doing In My Pasture?

It's that time of year when we notice, in some cases, more moss than grass growing in our pastures. What went wrong? How can the problem be fixed? Most folks want to know what they can do to get rid of the moss, but the root of the issue goes deeper. Often, moss is a symptom rather than the actual problem. Simply attempting to kill or remove the moss is a ...

Melissa Fery | Mar 2007 | Article

Poison hemlock and Western waterhemlock: deadly plants that may be growing in your pasture

Poisonous plants are a major cause of economic loss to the livestock industry. Two poisonous plants common to Oregon are poison hemlock and Western water hemlock. Ingestion of either by humans or livestock typically results in death.

Scott Duggan | Jun 2018 | Article

Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum) – Silage Will Not Reduce the Toxin

Poison hemlock is one of the most poisonous of plants. Silage making has been used to reduce the concentrations of toxins in a variety of crops. Poison hemlock alkaloids are found in different concentrations depending on several factors that make it virtually impossible to predict how dangerous the plant is at any given time.

Cassie Bouska, Amy Peters | Jan 2006 | Article