Digging into Small Farms in the Willamette Valley
We showcase local farming practices, tips, and resources for small-scale agriculture by interviewing both farmers and university experts on agricultural topics.
Listen in on Third Wednesdays on KMUZ at 88.5FM or 100.7FM during the Willamette Wake-Up at 8:00am.
09/19/2018 - The Pilot: An Introduction to The Broadfork
- The Broadfork is a new monthly segment on KMUZ. Host, Victoria Binning talks with Erica Chernoh, Oregon Extension Service, about research to advance cultivation of strawberries and olives in the mid-valley.
10/17/2018 - Lucky Crow Farm: A Report on Terra Madre
- Eden Olsen details insights from her recent trip to Slow Food's international conference, Terra Madre, with father's from around the world gathered in Italy. She also shares the importance of having a weekend and willing women in agriculture.
- Jared Hibbard-Swanson explains what a food bank hopes to accomplish by supporting a farm that employs teenagers. He also gives some insight on farming on a heavy bottomland soil and his philosophy on pest management.
- Nate and Janis Newsom share their progress over the past three years on their 17-acre diverse vegetable farm in Stayton, as well as their innovative plans for 2019. They are big supporters of mechanization and Airbnb.
- Lindsay Trant, Community Organizer for Friends of Family Farmers (FoFF), explains what FoFF does, including Oregon Farm Link and Oregon Pasture Network. She shares her own journey from the farm fields to the halls of the capitol and how FoFF takes the voice of the family farmers of Oregon to the policymakers. This interview includes highlights from FoFF’s 2018 Listening Sessions and upcoming opportunities to get involved.
2/20/2019 - Blue Moose Farm: Retiring into Farming
- Mike and Lacy Gage share their enthusiasm for soil health, no-till agriculture, and the joy of farming – after full careers of doing other things!
3/20/2019 - OSU Extension Agritourism: What is Agritourism?
- U-Picks, farm stands, and corn mazes! Oh my! Mary Stewart, Agritourism agent for Marion County Extension Service, walks us through what Agritourism is and what to expect if you are adding an Agritourism enterprise to your operation.
- Could it be? Local tea? Kacie Merkel from Minto Island Growers joins us to talk about growing, harvesting, and processing Camellia sinensis right here in Oregon!