Mold & Indoor Air Quality

Mold & Indoor Air Quality

Mold can be destructive to people’s home, health and belongings.  Oregon’s damp, mild climate contributes to mold growth in indoor environments.  Research has found that the quality of air in homes can be poorer than that of the outdoors.  

Some facts:

  • In children, asthma is on the rise.  Indoor air pollutants, including mold, trigger asthma and allergies.
  • Mold, and the moisture that allows it to grow, is highly destructive to homes, buildings, and possessions. The presence of mold can make homes uninhabitable and unable to be sold without remediation.
  • Mold control scams are prolific.   Much of the available information relating to mold control is inaccurate, making us all vulnerable to misinformation and scams.

This site contains links to general information about moisture and mold control in homes and buildings.  OSU Extension Service also coordinates occasional educational workshops on mold control. Please contact the Washington County Extension office at 503-821-1117 or email to find out when the next workshop is scheduled.

Program Coordinators

Susan Busler, OSU Extension Service, Family and Community Development, Lane County Extension
Regularly teaches classes on home maintenance and healthy homes with the local Housing Authority and public agencies. 

Jeanne BrandtOSU Extension Service, Family and Community Development, Washington County Extension
State project leader for USDA/CSREES partnerships: Healthy Indoor Air for America’s Homes and Healthy Homes Partnership. Author “Household Mold.,” multi-lingual fact sheet. Phone: 503-821-1117 email

 

 OSU Extension Service promotes no products or services.
This program supported by an OSU Extension Service Innovative Programming Grant

Share this