- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
Got gardening questions? We've got answers!
Who we are!
The OSU Extension Farms and Gardens program, including the Master Gardener program, is partnering with Lane Community College Farm Business Management Program, the Lane County Master Gardener Association, Rainbow Valley Design and Construction Company, and many other community partners.
Come see us at our new address at the Kaufman House, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene, OR 97402-5225, corner of 10th Ave. & Jefferson Street (see map)
Our home gardening staff and volunteers (Master Gardeners™), in the Lane County Office can answer your questions in person, by phone, or email, in educational programs and workshops, or with locally produced materials and garden publications based on research conducted at Oregon State University.
If you enjoy gardening and want to share that enjoyment with others in your community, consider the OSU Extension Master Gardener™ or Compost Specialist training programs.
Master Gardener Hotline open for phone calls and walk in customers:
Hours of operation: Monday-Thursday
10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2-5 p.m. ~ Master Gardener Hotline: 541-344-0265
OSU Extension Office: 541-344-5859
Donations gratefully accepted
Help us "Grow into the Future" by sending a donation. Please make checks payable to Agricultural Research Foundation (ARF) and mail to OSU Extension Service, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene, OR 97402-5225.
Garden Hints from Agent Ross Penhallegon
OSU monthly "To Do" calendars.
Share the Bounty of Lane County - Help fight hunger in Oregon
Access to fresh produce is difficult for those on limited incomes. Donations of fresh produce from your garden can make a big difference. Contact these locations for information. Master Gardener
Free Monthly Seminars
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - Bioremediation discussion with Rodney Bloom. Rodnesy has experience as a volunteer in this area in helping the clean-up after hurricane Katrina. Master Gardener business meeting starts at 7 p.m., speaker follows. New location: OSU Extension Service office, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene (corner of 10th, enter on 10th by the ramp).
Daytime Classes open to the public:
Classes run 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 12:45-3:45 p.m. on Wednesday's. The public is invited to attend the following daytime classes for $25 per half-day session. Payment (cash or check) may be made at the door. Classes are held at the Unitarian Universalist Church, 1685 W. 13th Avenue (corner of 13th & Chambers) in Eugene.
- March 5, 8:30 a.m. Water Quality Gardening and Compost
Online Master Gardener Training through OSU
Register for the OSU Online Master Gardener Course at: http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/mastergardener The Master Gardener online course is offered by the OSU Extended Campus (Ecampus) and Extension Service.
Option One, participants earn a Certificate of Home Horticulture. This option does not require volunteer work. Option One will be offered also in the winter session, along with Option Two.
- Option Two offers training to become a certified Master Gardener and to earn the Master Gardener badge through volunteering. In addition to the basic course, participants are required to put in 40–70 hours of volunteer work at their local OSU Extension office. Registration for Option Two opens in October.
Please fill out the interest form to be contacted for the next Master Gardener volunteer training in Lane County. The daytime Master Gardener training in Lane County opens for registration in August.
After completing the training, volunteers help Extension faculty educate and advise other home gardeners throughout Lane County.
Our programs are designed to help gardeners in Lane County on topics of interest to area gardeners--such as composting and pruning. We have answers to gardening questions and developed seasonal to-do lists called Garden Tips. We also have Garden Calendars, a list of activities organized by month. Our website includes links to other garden-related websites. For more information check out a practical guide to growing in Oregon, our eNews newsletter, or the Gardening Encyclopedia.
2014-15 Master Gardener @ Night series:
The 2014-15 Master Gardener @ Night series will start Term 1 in September 2014. Term 2 will start in January 2015. To become a Master Gardener volunteer by attending the Master Gardener @ Night Series both term 1 and term 2 must be taken consecutively. The registration form is now available.
- Term 1 volunteer option payment by credit card $150 per term.
- Term 1 non-volunteer option payment by credit card $250 per term.
Public Pruning Classes
The pruning class schedule for 2014 classes is now available. Pre-registration is requested for all sessions by calling 541-344-5859. The schedule of classes shows dates, times, locations and pruning topics. Classes are held rain or shine. Suggested donation is $15 per person unless otherwise noted.
Please note that there is only one pruning class on February 20 at the Owen Memorial Rose Garden, Noon - 2 p.m. (no morning session).
For the past 22 years we've trained thousands of home orchardists and gardeners. Some of our participants have repeated classes to keep their skills sharp; others have taken all of the classes! Classes have been led by trained volunteer Master Gardeners who are eager to share their knowledge and experience with you.
Growing Great Fruit Trees at Home
2014 registration available for Growing Great Fruit Trees at Home.
- Cancelled due to weather: February 8, 2014 - 1-3:30 p.m. Springfield
- February 22, 2014 - 9:30 a.m.-noon, 996 Jefferson St., Eugene
2014 Free Compost demonstrations are sponsored by the City of Eugene and OSU Extension Service in Lane County. The Worm Bin workshops are open for registration ($40). They will be led by certified Compost Specialists.
- Saturday, May 10, 2014 , 10-noon $40 by credit card payment option. Location: OSU Extension Service office, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene (corner of 10th, enter on 10th by the ramp)
- Saturday, October 18, 2014 , 10-noon $40 by credit card payment option. Location: OSU Extension Service office, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene (corner of 10th, enter on 10th by the ramp)
Compost Specialist Volunteer Training
Training to become a Compost Specialist volunteer is held once a year in Eugene, we will be holding the training this on Wednesday April 2nd and 9th, 2014. Please fill out the Registration Form and return it to the OSU Extension Service Lane County office by Thursday March 27, 2014. Compost Specialist volunteers share their knowledge at many community events and booths.
Sustainable Landscape Certification
Class schedule for the 2014 Sustainable Landscape Certification training is available. The two-day trainings are held 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m. Classes will be held at EWEB North building, 500 E 4th Avenue, Eugene. Parking permits are required and will be provided.
- April 23-24, 2014 payment by credit card ($25).
- June 25-26, 2014 payment by credit card ($25).
- October 22-23, 2014 payment by credit card ($25).
Master Gardener Fund Raiser: Garden RhythmJournal authored by local gardeners.
- Available for $17 at the OSU Extension Service Ag/Hort Program in Lane County, 996 Jefferson St., Eugene, OR 97402 or by mail.
- Make checks payable to the Lane County Master Gardener Association (LCMGA).
- The Lane County Master Gardener Association gladly accepts tax deductible donations. Make checks payable to the LCMGA and mail to LCMGA c/o OSU Extension Service Ag/Hort Program - Lane County, 996 Jefferson St., Eugene, OR 97402.
This study analyzes options and strategies for increasing food production and processing in Lane County.
Master Gardeners Only (includes daytime class schedule and homework)
Master Gardener @ Night Only (night class schedule and homework)