- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
Got gardening questions? We've got answers!
Who we are!
The OSU Extension Farms and Gardens program, including the Master Gardener program, is partnering with Lane Community College Farm Business Management Program, the Lane County Master Gardener Association, Rainbow Valley Design and Construction Company, and many other community partners.
Come see us at our new address at the historic Kaufman House, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene, OR 97402-5225, corner of 10th Ave & Jefferson Street (see map)
Our home gardening staff and volunteers (Master Gardeners™), in the Lane County Office can answer your questions in person, by phone, email, in educational programs and workshops, or with locally produced materials and garden publications based on research conducted at Oregon State University.
If you enjoy gardening and want to share that enjoyment with others in your community, consider the OSU Extension Master Gardener™ or Compost Specialist training programs.
Are you interested in in our upcoming classes and garden news? Sign up here for our Garden e-Newsletter.
Master Gardener Plant Clinic open for phone calls and walk ins:
Hours of operation: Monday-Thursday
10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2-5 p.m. ~ Master Gardener Plant Clinic: 541-344-0265
OSU Extension Office: 541-344-5859
You may send an email to Master Gardeners: Lanemg@oregonstate.edu
Free Monthly Seminars sponsored by the Lane County Master Gardener Association
Tuesday, January 17, 2017: Extending the Gardening Season with Darren Morgan of Shonnard's Nursery in Corvallis, 7-8:30 p.m. OSU Extension Service - Lane County office, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene (enter on 10th at the ramp).
2017 Master Gardener Classes
2017 Master Gardener Wednesday classes are open to the public, $25 per class. Classes are held at the Community of Christ Church, 1485 Gilham Road, Eugene. Cash or Check made out to OSU Extension Service - Lane County will be accepted at the door.
- January 25, 12:45-3:45 p.m. - Soils, Melissa Fery, OSU
- February 1, 9 a.m.-noon - Fertilizers, Jeff Choate
- February 1, 12:45-3:45 p.m. - Compost, Linda Brewer, OSU
- February 8, 9 a.m.-noon - Pesticide Safety, Brooke Edmunds, OSU
- February 8, 12:45-3:45 p.m. - Pruning Ornamentals, Neil Bell, OSU
- February 15, 9 a.m.-noon - Plant ID & Natives, Bruce Newhouse
- February 15, 12:45-3:45 p.m.-Disease Diagnostics, Brooke Edmunds, OSU
- February 22, 9 a.m.-noon - Small Fruits & Berries, Ross Penhallegon, OSU Emeritus
- February 22, 12:45-3:45 p.m. - Tree Fruits, Ross Penhallegon, OSU Emeritus
- March 1, 9 a.m.-noon - Seeding & Vegetables, David Babcock
- March 1, 12:45-3:45 p.m. - Entomology, Pat Patterson
- March 8, 9 a.m.- noon - Water Quality Gardening, Jacquie Fern, DEQ
- March 8, 12:45-3:45 p.m. - Weeds, Pat Patterson
- March 15, 9 a.m.-noon - Plant Pathology, Brooke Edmunds, OSU
Public Pruning Classes
For the past 24 years we've trained thousands of home orchardists and gardeners. Some of our participants have repeated classes to keep their skills sharp; others have taken all of the classes! Classes have been led by trained volunteer Master Gardeners who are eager to share their knowledge and experience with you.
Schedule available for 2017 Free Compost demonstrations sponsored by the City of Eugene and OSU Extension Service in Lane County.
2017 Worm Bin workshops (registration $40). Each class taught by certified Compost Specialists. Print off the form and mail with a check or pay with a credit card. Pre-registration deadline is one week prior to class. No registrations accepted in class. Please call for space availability.
Sustainable Landscape Workshop
Class schedule for the 2017 Sustainable Landscape Certification training is available. The two-day trainings are held 9 a.m.- 5 p.m., doors open at 8:30 a.m.
- April 18-19, 2017
- June 20-21, 2017
- October 24-25, 2017
- December 12-13, 2017
Classes will be held at 996 Jefferson St, Eugene. (Enter building on 10th at the ramp.) Parking available off ally behind 996 Jefferson, enter ally off Jefferson Street before you get to 10th.
Online Master Gardener Training through OSU
Register for the OSU Online Master Gardener Course at: https://pace.oregonstate.edu/catalog/master-gardener-online The Master Gardener online course is offered by the OSU Extended Campus (Ecampus) and Extension Service. After completing the training, volunteers help Extension faculty educate and advise other home gardeners throughout Lane County.
Our programs are designed to help gardeners in Lane County on topics of interest to area gardeners-such as composting and pruning. We have answers to gardening questions and developed seasonal to-do lists called Garden Tips. We also have Garden Calendars, a list of activities organized by month. Our website includes links to other garden-related websites. For more information check out a practical guide to growing in Oregon, our eNews newsletter, or the Gardening Encyclopedia.
Soil pH Testing
Soil pH is one of many relevant factors affecting a garden. Lane County Master Gardeners are available to test your soil pH. Please bring soil samples with the completed form and a $2.00 fee to the OSU Extension Service office, 996 Jefferson St, Eugene from Monday-Thursday 10am-1pm and 2-5pm. Please make checks payable to the Lane County Master Gardener Association. How to interpret soil pH results.
Donations gratefully accepted
Help us "Grow into the Future" by sending a donation. Please make checks payable to Agricultural Research Foundation (ARF) and mail to OSU Extension Service, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene, OR 97402-5225.
Garden Hints from Agent Ross Penhallegon
OSU monthly "To Do" calendars.
Share the Bounty of Lane County - Help fight hunger in Oregon
Access to fresh produce is difficult for those on limited incomes. Donations of fresh produce from your garden can make a big difference. Contact these locations for information.
Master Gardener Fund Raiser: Garden RhythmJournal authored by local gardeners.
- Available for $17 at the OSU Extension Service Ag/Hort Program in Lane County, 996 Jefferson St., Eugene, OR 97402 or by mail.
- Make checks payable to the Lane County Master Gardener Association (LCMGA).
- The Lane County Master Gardener Association gladly accepts tax deductible donations. Make checks payable to the LCMGA and mail to LCMGA c/o OSU Extension Service Ag/Hort Program - Lane County, 996 Jefferson St., Eugene, OR 97402.
This study analyzes options and strategies for increasing food production and processing in Lane County.