- About Extension
- Get Involved
- Statewide Locations
Umatilla County Master Gardener Program
Announcing 2017 Master Gardener Training!
The course runs from January 3rd to March 25th, and the schedule will be in the following format:
- Tuesday evenings, 6 PM to 8 PM
- Saturday mornings, 9 AM to 12 PM
- Roughly 3 hours of online lectures that are REQUIRED viewing.
Tuesday classes will review and expand upon materials presented in the online lectures, and there will be a weekly test during those classes that will be graded on participation, to encourage students to be on top of course content.
Saturday workshops will involve more hands-on learning activities, and will frequently include field trips, technical skill building, and demonstrations that enhance understanding in the module.
The course cost at the time of registration is $130 dollars, which includes the cost of the text book ($30). Upon completion of the 30 service hours at the end of the course, you will be eligible to receive a $50 refund, thus the cost of the course itself is $50 dollars.
Interested parties can fill out the application and drop it off with the registration fee at their local OSU Extension office (Pendleton, Hermiston, OR Milton-Freewater.) Questions? Contact Colleen Sanders at 541-278-5403.
Pendleton River Walk Garden
Our original garden site is located off of Byers Ave. near the Pendleton Round-Up Grounds. CAPECO supplies the water for this site. Volunteers help prepare the site, pick and deliver produce, which is distributed to the community by CAPECO. Contact the Extension office to volunteer.
South Hill Garden Plots
These garden plots are located on private property on the south hill in Pendleton. The home owners donate the water for this garden site. The plots are available to the public for seasonal use for a nomial fee. Contact the Extension office for more information.
Yellowhawk Tribal Garden
Info coming soon!
Online Reporting for Volunteer Hours
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get rid of Burmudagrass in my lawn?
- How do I get rid of wild Blackberry vines in my yard?
- Why are my tomatoes not producing fruit?
- How to start a Community Garden
- How to start a Home Garden
- How to start plants from seeds
- Are there really laws about fruit trees?
- Lawn Water Guide for Eastern Oregon
- Landscaping with Native Plants
- Growing Your Own A practical guide to gardening in Oregon.
- Master Gardener Library List
- An Educator's Guide to Vegetable Gardening
- Controlling crabgrass, Bermuda grass, and nutsedge in your lawn - by Don Horneck, HAREC
- What does your garden grow? - by Don Horneck, HAREC
- Plant Disease Diagnoses - by Phil Hamm, HAREC
- Vegetable Gardening - by George Clough, HAREC