Become an OSU Master Gardener 2023
OSU Extension Service Master Gardener™ Training
We plan to launch registration for the 2023 Master Gardener training in early January 2023. Sign up for our interest list.
We will contact you in mid-December 2022 to announce program details and open application.
Our offering in 2023 will be similar to the 2022 Master Gardener training detailed below.
2022 OSU Extension Master Gardener Training (Metro Area)
If you enjoy learning about gardening, sharing your knowledge with others, and volunteering in your community, consider becoming an OSU Master Gardener Volunteer.
The Oregon State University Extension Master Gardener™ program educates Oregonians about the art and science of growing and caring for plants.
We provide research-based information about sustainable gardening and household pests for the public in Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington Counties in Oregon.
OSU Master Gardeners are volunteer educators, neighbors, and on-the-ground researchers.
We Train Community Educators Focused on Sustainable Gardening and Growing Food in Community Settings
Gardening education and advice is needed now more than ever. The OSU Master Gardener program is training new community educators in 2022.
Our volunteers provide gardening advice and educational services for Oregon’s growing community of gardeners.
We’ve updated and redesigned how we deliver the program. It is reflective of the community’s needs for flexible learning and volunteer opportunities.
We seek volunteers with the motivation to learn, to garden, and to serve as a garden educator in the community.
There are no prerequisites to participate. Having a basic understanding of gardening is helpful.
See 2022 Application & Training Details below.
Timeline for 2022 OSU Master Gardener Training
Limited slots are available for the 2022 OSU Master Gardener training in Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington Counties.
The application for the 2022 Master Gardener training is closed.
We will inform participants if they are accepted into the 2022 Master Gardener training by January 14, 2022.
Admitted participants need to register and reserve their slot by January 31, 2022, by completing a volunteer profile and making their payment.
Online content and webinars start mid-February 2022 and run through the end of April.
Hands-on workshops and volunteer opportunities run from February through October 2022.
To Improve Your Own Gardening Knowledge
The OSU Master Gardener program is focused on training volunteer garden educators.
If you are looking to improve your own gardening knowledge, OSU offers the following options:
- Certificate of Home Horticulture is an online 12-week, non-credit introduction to horticulture course.
- Gardening Short Course Series includes a menu of 12 on-demand gardening courses.
- Online Urban Agriculture Program is a new program to help those gardeners who want to make a career of gardening and build sustainable food systems in the community.
- Sustainable Landscaping course helps you work directly with your specific landscape.
- Growing Oregon Gardeners: Level Up Series is a FREE webinar series with timely topics from gardening in a changing climate to techniques to extend your season. See recordings of past webinars and find the schedule for 2022.
- Permaculture Design Certificate is an introductory course and a broad survey of the permaculture design system.
- Explore OSU’s expansive online Professional and Continuing Education courses. Including: permaculture food forests, pruning and training of berries, kiwis and grapes, and more.
Need Help Determining the Right Path For You?
Explore OSU's educational offerings with an interactive tool.