This week we talk with Kim Flottum. Kim has not only thought long and hard about communicating with people of bees, as editor of Bee Culture and BEEKeeping magazines, but he has a tremendous sense of the history of this endeavor, being situated in the historic A. I. Root Company in Medina, OH. Kim is also invested in the future of teaching people about bees with initiatives such as the KIM&JIM Show webinars with Jim Tew and Beekeeping Today podcasts with Jeff Ott.
Learn how Kim Flottum is taking beekeeping education into the future, and how he is following in legendary beekeeping educator Amos Root’s footsteps.
You can Subscribe and Listen to PolliNation on Apple Podcasts.
And be sure to leave us a Rating and Review!
“We have gone from pencil-writing answers to letters, to the electronic age, and it has opened the door to anybody and everybody who wants to talk about anything.” – Kim Flottum
- What Bee Culture is and where it came from
- How a novice bee enthusiast eventually authored an encyclopedia of bee and bee-related information
- How Kim and A. I. Root Company are getting information to budding keepers in the digital age
- What “The KIM&JIM Show” is and what it provides beekeepers around the world
- How Kim sees his educational resources expanding to become more interactive
- Why Kim carried the educational spirit of A. I. Root Company on to podcasts
- How Amos Root inadvertently came to know the Wright Brothers and where their friendship led him
“We wanted to put information into the hands of people so they would succeed their first year and their second year, and by their third year, they would be growing.” – Kim Flottum
- Learn more about Bee Culture magazine
- Find out more about The Kim and Jim Show
- Check out the Beekeeping Today podcast
- Learn more about Kim’s book, The Backyard Beekeeper (Flottum, 3rd Edition 2014)
- Kim’s favorite pollinator resources:
- Favorite book: The collective knowledge of 150 years of beekeeping
- Favorite pollinator: Monarch Butterflies