In excessively hot weather, these five tips can make a difference in caring for your livestock.
- Make sure clean, cool water is accessible at all times.
- Provide shade.
- Minimize animals’ exertion. Any handling or transporting should be done early in the morning.
- Provide air circulation by opening barn doors and windows and/or using fans.
- Ideally, use fans with enclosed motors designed for use in barns. Be very cautious with residential-style fans as they can be a fire risk: check cords carefully for damage; keep fans very clean. For all fans, keep them away from feed, bedding, and any other easily flammable materials.
- Provide misters or sprinklers.