I had always been told that rhubarb leaves are extremely toxic, but my research has confused me. Some sources say that it is hardly toxic, while others say it is lethal. Do you know how toxic rhubarb leaves actually are?
Rhubarb leaves are toxic and humans should never ingest them. The stems are safe to eat.
Symptoms caused by rhubarb leaf ingestion
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health symptoms can include:
- Breathing difficulty
- Burning in the mouth
- Burning in the throat
- Eye pain
- Kidney stones
- Red-colored urine
- Stomach pain
Serious poisonings can result in kidney failure. Deaths have been reported, but are rare.
Severity of symptoms
The severity of symptoms caused by consuming rhubarb is determined by:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- The variety of rhubarb
- How long it was swallowed before treatment
- Amount swallowed.