What Makes Our Program Unique?
Our Program Goals
The primary goal of the Oregon Master Beekeeper Program is to improve and maintain the health of honey bee colonies throughout the region. To meet this goal, the program has the following objectives:
- Increase knowledge and understanding of honey bees and beekeeping
- Provide guidance in appropriate management and consistency in the practice of beekeeping
- Encourage ongoing education of beekeepers at all levels
- Create a web of beekeepers who serve as instructors and mentors to beekeepers enrolled in the program
- Support and encourage participation in the regional community of beekeepers
- Actively inform and increase public awareness through outreach events about the honey bee, the role of honey bees in contemporary culture, and ways to contribute to improving the health of honey bee colonies
Levels of Instruction
There is a path for all experience levels from Getting Started with Bees, Apprentice to the Apprentice Challenge. Participating beekeepers can continue to gain experience as Journey and Master students. Each Level provides opportunities and support for additional learning, practice in the field, and community service.
'Getting Started with Bees' Certificate Program
This program is the starting point in the participant’s journey into beekeeping. The emphasis here is to give the new or prospective beekeeper sufficient knowledge and experience to get started. A certificate of achievement is awarded upon completion. Once complete, the student can place his/her name on the Apprentice waiting list.
- Zero to 1 year of experience, 1 to 3 years’ experience without access to a hive, those who qualify for the Apprentice Program who are unable to be assigned a mentor
- No hive required
- No assigned mentor
- All applicants accepted - no waiting list
At this level, the program emphasizes hands-on training with a mentor. Classroom-based and online instruction is available throughout the state. Completion of this level gives participants a solid foundation in beekeeping.
Journey and Master Levels
These offer additional training in advanced beekeeping topics. These levels also involve bee-related research projects and community service to educate others about honey bees and beekeeping.