The goal of the Small Farms program is to improve the economic and environmental sustainability of small farms by employing appropriate scale production and marketing techniques. The program works toward improving small farm horticultural production and small-scale livestock, poultry & forage production.
Objectives of the Small Farm Program:
- Offer a wide variety of classes, many topics suggested by our local farmers, to become the resource they need for education and answers
- Improve stewardship practices of small acreage landowners;
- Land management: improve soil and water quality and conservation;
- Small farm alternative and specialty marketing (through local and regional food systems and farm direct marketing channels).
- Facilitate farmers knowing other farmers
Supporting Small Farmers
Our mission is to advance sustainable agriculture, community food systems, and economic progress for Oregon's small farmers and ranchers and provide a leading-edge experience for students.
OSU Small Farms Conference
A daylong event geared toward farmers, agricultural professionals, food policy advocates, students and managers of farmers markets. Educational sessions are offered on a variety of topics relevant to the Oregon small farmers. Speakers include farmers, OSU Extension faculty, agribusiness, and more.