HOW-TO TO MAINTAIN ACTIVE VETERAN OSU MASTER GARDENER STATUS
To maintain your certification as an active Veteran, OSU metro-area Master Gardener the following are the minimum criteria to be completed each year. Master Gardeners are considered current when these criteria are met.
- 20 hours of volunteer service in Metro MG approved activities (with at least 10 hours volunteered toward “Program” activities). Other hours can be served with approved “Partner” activities. You can serve all your volunteer hours in “Program” activities, if you prefer.
- 10 hours of Recertification / Continuing Garden Education hours
- Submission of signed Conditions of Volunteer Service agreement
Volunteer Service Hours
Report volunteer hours here: Veteran reporting (volunteer hours and recertification hours)
Record your volunteer hours on one of two volunteer hour log sheets. Download 2018 Volunteer Log Sheet(s) in Word and Excel. You can upload your completed log sheet into the online Veteran reporting (via system named Qualtrics).
Hours are due by October 1. If hours are submitted later than October 1, access to CERVIS and other resources will be interrupted.
Recertification / Continuing Garden Education hours:
- Attend any MG training class offered in February and March at any of the 3 training locations. The locations are listed annually on our website. Morning sessions and afternoon sessions each count for 3 hours of continuing education. Attending the classes is a great way to brush up on the basics. The annual schedule is posted in the December, January and February MG newsletters.
- The Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington Co. Chapters all offer several speakers, seminars, and classes throughout the year that count as continuing education credit. Find designated speakers and classes designated on their Chapter pages, or in the Metro MG newsletter. Always look for a designation like “approved for MG garden education credit” or “qualifies for continuing education/recertification credit”.
- Take and successfully ‘Pass’ any online MG training modules. All MG training modules are offered free to current Veteran Master Gardeners.
- MG Program Hands-on Education Workshops. These workshops are part of the MG training curriculum offered by the metro-area MG program. Current Veteran Master Gardeners are allowed to take one of these workshops. If space allows, a Veteran can get special permission to take an additional workshop. Veteran Master Gardeners will be notified of workshops via email or the monthly newsletter.
- Keep your eye out for additional designated continuing education credit opportunities as they surface throughout the year. Be sure to read the monthly MG program newsletter or email announcements.
Conditions of Volunteer Service agreement:
This form is to be submitted annually, due October 1.
CRITERIA FOR OSU MASTER GARDENER TRAINEES
- Attend all 7 in-person classes (February through March)
- Take and successfully pass REQUIRED modules which include:
° Basic Botany
° Plant Pathology
° Understanding Pesticides
° Environmental Causes of Plant Problems: Happy environment, happy plants
- Final exam
Successful completion of an exam is required to become a certified MG volunteer. The goal of the exam is to ensure that trainees meet learning objectives of the MG program. The exam is available and you must complete the final exam and 56 hours of volunteer internship in order to get an official OSU Master Gardener name badge and to be eligible to continue to volunteer in our program in subsequent years. You must pass exam with at least 70% by March 31 (training year) in order to participate in the OSU-sponsored volunteer activities like phone hotlines and OSU Master Gardener clinics at farmers markets and other venues.
- Attend ONE metro MG Program Hands-on Workshop
A link to the workshops is provided soon after the classes begin.
- Educational programming at MG chapter meetings and other events
Our local Master Gardener Chapters in Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington counties provide monthly educational seminars on a wide range of topics. Attending at least three hours of educational programming (not a volunteer shift) is encouraged. Find listing of the events in the Chapter’s newsletters. Please note: these events are FREE of charge and open to the public. Bring your friends and family!
- Volunteer internship
Complete 56 hours of volunteer internship at Metro Master Gardener approved activities before September 30. Volunteer at least half of your internship hours toward “Program” activities (farmers markets, phone clinic hotlines, special OSU MG tabling events). Other hours can be served volunteering toward approved “Partner” activities.
Record your hours on one of two volunteer log sheets. Download 2018 Volunteer Log Sheet(s) in Word or Excel.
Upload your completed volunteer log sheet into the online Intern reporting (via system called Qualtrics)
Hours are due by October 1. Submit your 56 hours by October 1 and you will receive your OSU Extension Service Master Gardener badge at Fall Recertification training or by mail by the end of the calendar year.
- Complete and submit all required forms. In order to participate in our volunteer program, there is a set of required signed forms that need to be submitted. The forms are listed below. Please print the forms and mail them to the Metro-area Master Gardener program office at 200 Warner-Milne Rd. Oregon City, OR 97045.
All volunteers must complete the 5 forms listed here to be a registered Oregon State University volunteer: