Last spring we presented information on how your actions around your home and the surrounding landscape can reduce the chance your home will burn. But where do you start? How do you prioritize your efforts to be most effective? In the webinar on Home Hardening, we take a closer look at the specific recommendations from experts that will enhance the survivability of your home in case of an approaching wildfire.
Originally aired on November 17, 2021
Presenter: John Rizza, NE Regional Fire Specialist (OSU, Forestry & Natural Resources Extension)
- Assessment Checklist: Home Hardening for Wildfire - OCPR Guide
- Building Homes to Survive Wildfires
- Home Survival in Wildfire-Prone Areas: Building Materials and Design Considerations
- IBHS Wildfire Research - Ember Ignition: Decks
- Low Cost Retrofit List (CAL FIRE)
- NFPA Assessment checklist
- Decks that Stand up to Wildfire
- Fire Resistant Decks, Patios, and Porches
- Hardening your Home Against Wildfire
- Homeowners Wildfire Mitigation Guide
- Preparing your Home: How to Prioritize your Actions
- Sustainable Defensible Space: Pacific Horticulture
- Wildfire Home Retrofit Guide
- Wildfire Research Fact Sheets
Call to Action
Just starting out? Do one action listed during the webinar that will harden your home.
If you are further along and have already taken some action in your community to be Fire Prepared – Implement advanced home hardening practices and ensure you are maintaining your hardened home.